Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Regency England in Bing and Altavista

So, I performed my tried-and-true search term in two different search engines. I had used Bing previuosly but was pleasantly surprised with the results I achieved today. I don't remember what I searched for before but the results didn't make me change my home page.

Bing gave me a nice list of Regency sites, many I was aware of, and many I was not. That's a very good thing because there is a dearth of information on this particular time period, although more and more is becoming available. One thing I discovered was that Bing offers images. I was not aware of that.

Altavista pretty much gave me the same results. When the results loaded, many of the links had changed colors indicating that I had opened them before. This search engine did not provide images in my standard search. When I added the term images to my search there was no one site that combined images for me. Many of the sites listed showed the word images in the headline text.

Next I tried metacrawler. It did not produce a significant amount of new data. Since the top three hits are paid for, I had things like "Shop for Regency England at buy.com!" lol (It appears that anything can be purchased these days.) This mega site did come up with many of the same sites as the two search engines. I may have had different results using another term but I use what I'm used to. lol

Way back when, there were fewer search engines. I liked the specialized ones the best. Altavista used to be for the more scholarly results with fewer ads, and I found it very useful in providing reference service. Since Google evolved most of the general population use it for all their everyday and basic searches. That's not a bad thing, but it is limiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment