Thursday, May 19, 2011

Florida Electronic Library

I didn't stop at one database or one search. I chose a couple of different things just to keep myself out of trouble.

I searched the Health Center database for melanoma. I found quite a few articles but most of it was above my head. I find that a lot. lol I did trip over an article about the success of Interferon (the treatment I had) in treating the disease. So I was "out of trouble" twice with that hit!

Then I pulled up the Fashion through the Ages. Wonderful online index but the entries were not links, instead you had to put your word into the search box. So I did. I searched cravats, spencers, pelisses, and...well, it's better that I don't say what I stumbled across. I came away with a better understanding of these clothing items which will help me in my writing. Always a good thing.

These tools are an excellent resource for the researcher, teacher, and student. Some are geared specifically for children, some for adults, and some should come with a warning to read only with a Webster's Unabridged Dictionary or a medical dictionary at your elbow. But it's all good stuff that was not available to the regular library user even a short ten years ago.

Darn. Did I say ten years was short? Oy-vay!

No comments:

Post a Comment